Frequently Asked Questions: LFCA
The Linux Foundation Certified IT Associate (LFCA) certification is a pre-professional certification intended for those new to the industry or considering starting an IT career. This certification is ideal for users interested in advancing to the professional level through a demonstrated understanding of critical concepts for modern IT systems including cloud computing.
The LFCA will test candidates' knowledge of fundamental IT concepts including operating systems, software application installation and management, hardware installation, use of the command line and basic programming, basic networking functions, security best practices, and other related topics to validate their capability and preparedness for an entry-level IT position.
The certification exam is proctored remotely via streaming audio, video, and screen sharing feeds. The screensharing feed allows proctors to view candidates' desktops (including all monitors). The audio, video, and screen sharing feeds will be stored for a limited period of time in the event that there is a subsequent need for review.
The main function of the proctors during the exam is to facilitate the check-in process and to monitor the session. They do not, nor are they expected to, have the technical expertise to weigh in or provide insight on the exam servers or exam content. Proctoring for Linux Foundation Exams is explained here.
The online proctored exam is taken on PSI's Proctoring Platform "Bridge", using the PSI Secure Browser (a web browser created to guarantee a secure exam delivery over a virtual connection).
The PSI Secure Browser download/installation will being when you Select “Launch exam” from the PSI Dashboard.
Candidates must provide their own computer with:
- All browsers are supported, however PSI highly recommends using Chrome as the registration browser because the secure browser is Chrome-based and will give a more accurate experience.
- One active monitor (either built in or external) (NOTE: Dual Monitors are NOT supported)
- Reliable internet access
- Ensure others on the same internet connection are not performing activities that use excessive bandwidth (i.e. holding conference calls, streaming content, gaming, etc.)
- A wired connection is often more stable and robust than a wireless connection
- Turn off bandwidth-intensive services (e.g. file sync, dropbox, BitTorrent)
- Mac users may need to allow the PSI Secure Browser within their 'System Preferences: Security & Privacy: Privacy' settings for Microphone, Camera, Automation and Input Monitoring.
- Please check to make sure it is working before you start your exam session.
- Ensure the webcam is capable of being moved as you will have to pan your surroundings to check for potential violations of exam policy.
- If you will be testing from an employer-provide ISP please ensure that streaming will be allowed using WebRTC.
Candidates are not allowed to have other applications or browser windows running except the one on which the Exam is being shown.
Below are the expectations for an acceptable testing environment:
- Clutter-free work area
- No objects such as paper, writing implements, electronic devices, or other objects on top of surface
- No objects such as paper, trash bins, or other objects below the testing surface
- Clear walls
- No paper/print outs hanging on walls
- Paintings and other wall décor is acceptable
- Candidates will be asked to remove non-décor items prior to the exam being released
- Space must be well lit so that proctor is able to see candidate’s face, hands, and surrounding work area
- No bright lights or windows behind the examinee
- Candidate must remain within the camera frame during the examination
- Space must be private where there is no excessive noise. Public spaces such as coffee shops, stores, open office environments, etc. are not allowed.
UPDATED AUGUST 2022
Candidates need to provide identification (ID) that meets the requirements outlined below:
- All IDs must be valid (unexpired) Government-issued originals (i.e. not a photocopy)
- IDs must include the candidate's name, photo, and signature*
- *Government-issued biometric IDs that do not contain signature will be accepted
- Acceptable forms of ID:
- International travel passport
- Government-issued driver’s license/permit
- Government-Issued local language ID (with photo and signature)
- National identity card State or province-issued identity card
- Alien registration card (green card or permanent resident/visa)
- 住民基本台帳 (Basic Resident Register with photo) or マイナンバーカード(My Number Card)
- Minors, between the age of 16-18, are permitted to take an online proctored exam with PSI, provided they complete the following requirements:
- At check in, the minor candidate must present a valid student ID as a form of identification
- During the PSI check-in process, the candidate's guardian must also present a valid ID and must provide verbal consent during the PSI check-in process.
Exams may be administered to citizens of a sanctioned country listed below PROVIDED the citizens are tested OUTSIDE the sanctioned country and their exam registration and current ID show an address OUTSIDE the sanctioned country.
- North Korea
- Crimea Region of Ukraine
Candidates are allowed 90 minutes to complete the LFCA Exam.
For the LFCA Exam, a score of 75% or above must be earned to pass.
Exams are scored automatically, usually within 24 hours of completion. Results will be emailed within 24 hours from the time that the Exam was completed.
The multiple choice questions are only available in English.
LFCA Certifications are valid for 3 years.
Candidates have the option to retake and pass the exam to renew their certification. Certification Renewal must be completed prior to the certification expiration date. The renewed certification will be valid for a further 3 years effective from the date the exam is passed.
If you need additional help, please login with your LF Account to https://trainingsupport.linuxfoundation.org and use the search bar to find an answer to your question, or select your request type from the categories provided..