SkillCred Exams: Frequently Asked Questions
Supports SkillCred Exams: SC100, SC101, SC102, SC103, SC104
SkillCreds offer a new exam experience combining a variety of item types including multiple-choice questions, fill-in-the-blank, open format, terminal input, and more.
These skill-based credentials allow you to demonstrate your knowledge and experience in very specific technical areas (i.e. Vim, Bash, Git, etc.).
A certificate of completion for your specific SkillCred credential will be provided once you pass the exam.
Proctorio’s Automated Proctoring system monitors the SkillCred Exams. With Automated Proctoring, there is no live proctor watching test takers during the exam. After the exam is submitted, the exam recordings are reviewed and flagged for suspicious behavior or violations of exam rules and policies.
The audio, video, and screen sharing feeds are stored for a limited period of time in the event that there is a subsequent need for review.
- Please review the Minimum System Requirements and Helpful Tips, published by Proctorio, to ensure your machine can support our online exams.
- Please install the Proctorio extension. This process only needs to be done once. The extension will update automatically.
- Ensure the webcam is capable of being moved as you will have to pan your surroundings to check for potential violations of exam policy.
- If you will be testing from an employer-provide ISP or will use an employer provided machine, please ensure that streaming will be allowed using WebRTC.
- Candidates are not allowed to have other applications or browser windows running except the one on which the Exam is being shown.
- Please check to make sure it is working before you start your exam session.
- One active monitor (either built in or external) (NOTE: Dual Monitors are NOT supported). The Linux Foundation recommends a screen size of 15” or higher to support the ExamUI
- Reliable internet access
- Ensure others on the same internet connection are not performing activities that use excessive bandwidth (i.e. holding conference calls, streaming content, gaming, etc.)
- A wired connection is often more stable and robust than a wireless connection
- Turn off bandwidth-intensive services (e.g. file sync, dropbox, BitTorrent)
Below are the expectations for an acceptable testing environment:
- Clutter-free work area
- No objects such as paper, writing implements, electronic devices, or other objects on top of surface
- No objects such as paper, trash bins, or other objects below the testing surface
- Clear walls
- No paper/print outs hanging on walls
- Paintings and other wall décor is acceptable
- Space must be well lit so that your face, hands, and surrounding work area are clearly visible
- No bright lights or windows behind the examinee
- Candidate must remain within the camera frame during the examination
- Space must be private where there is no excessive noise. Public spaces such as coffee shops, stores, open office environments, etc. are not allowed.
Candidates need to provide identification (ID) that meets the requirements outlined below:
- All IDs must be a valid (unexpired) Government-issued original, physical document (not photocopied or electronic)
- IDs must include the candidate's name, photo, and signature*
- *Government-issued biometric IDs that do not contain signature will be accepted
- The first and last name on the ID must exactly match the verified name entered on your exam checklist
- Acceptable forms of ID:
- International travel passport
- Government-issued driver’s license/permit
- Government-Issued local language ID (with photo and signature)
- National identity card State or province-issued identity card
- Alien registration card (green card or permanent resident/visa)
- 住民基本台帳 (Basic Resident Register with photo) or マイナンバーカード(My Number Card)
- Minors, between the age of 16-18, are permitted to take an online proctored exam, provided they complete the following requirements:
- A Parent/Guardian must complete the Parental Release for Testing of Minors form, and submit it to trainingsupport.linuxfoundation.org, at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled date of the exam
- At check in, the minor candidate must present a valid student ID as a form of identification
Exams may be administered to citizens of a sanctioned country listed below PROVIDED the citizens are tested OUTSIDE the sanctioned country and their exam registration and current ID show an address OUTSIDE the sanctioned country.
- North Korea
- Crimea Region of Ukraine
For SkillCred exams, a score of 70% or above must be earned to pass.
Candidates are allowed 45 minutes to complete each SkillCred exam.
Exams are scored automatically, usually within 24 hours of completion. Results will be emailed within 24 hours from the time that the Exam was completed.
The Exams are available in English.
The SkillCred credentials do not have an expiration date.
If you need additional help, please login with your LF Account to https://trainingsupport.linuxfoundation.org and use the search bar to find an answer to your question, or select your request type from the categories provided.