Important Instructions: LFCT
- The LFCT exam is delivered online and consists of up to 20 tasks and questions, including:
- performance-based tasks completed on a Linux command line
- multiple-choice questions (or similar test interactions)
- Candidates have 2 hours to complete the LFCT exam
- The exam is proctored remotely via streaming audio, video, and screen sharing feeds
- Results will be emailed 24 hours from the time that the exam is completed
The online proctored exam is taken on PSI's proctoring platform "Bridge", using the PSI Secure Browser (a web browser created to guarantee a secure exam delivery over a virtual connection).
PSI Secure Browser Download is made available to candidates at Exam Launch Time.
Candidates should review the Bridge FAQ Information, published by PSI, to prepare for the Secure Browser installation and be aware of how to resolve issues with the Installation/download or launch of their exam:
Candidates must provide their own computer with:
- All browsers are supported, however PSI highly recommends using the latest version of Google Chrome for the best exam scheduling experience, and because the secure browser is Chrome-based and will give a more accurate experience.
- Reliable internet access
- Ensure others on the same internet connection are not performing activities that use excessive bandwidth (i.e. holding conference calls, streaming content, gaming, etc.)
- A wired connection is often more stable and robust than a wireless connection
- Turn off bandwidth-intensive services (e.g. file sync, dropbox, BitTorrent)
- Please note that cellular or satellite Internet services often introduce latency or restrict upload speeds that can decrease or interrupt your exam performance.
- One active monitor (either built in or external):
- Dual Monitors are NOT supported
- The Linux Foundation recommends a screen size of 15” or higher to support the ExamUI
- Please check to make sure it is working before you start your exam session.
Candidates are not allowed to have other applications or browser windows running except the one on which the Exam is being shown.Please review the PSI Bridge Platform: System Requirements to ensure your machine will meet the requirements of our online proctor.
- Ensure the webcam is capable of being moved as you will have to pan your surroundings to check for potential violations of exam policy.
- If you will be testing from an employer-provide ISP or will use an employer provided machine, please ensure that streaming will be allowed using WebRTC.
- Please disable firewalls or use a computer without a corporate firewall. Firewalls may interfere with installing the secure browser needed to take the test.
- Use a computer user with privileges to install applications and end system processes or services.
- If possible, disable anti-virus and any processes including but not limited to anti-virus scans and backups from running during exam time.
Below are the expectations for an acceptable testing location::
- Clutter-free work area
- No objects such as paper, writing implements, electronic devices, or other objects on top of surface
- No objects such as paper, trash bins, or other objects below the testing surface
- Clear walls
- No paper/print outs hanging on walls
- Paintings and other wall décor is acceptable
- Candidates will be asked to remove non-décor items prior to the exam being released
- Space must be well lit so that proctor is able to see candidate’s face, hands, and surrounding work area
- No bright lights or windows behind the examinee
- Candidate must remain within the camera frame during the examination
- Space must be private where there is no excessive noise. Public spaces such as coffee shops, stores, open office environments, etc. are not allowed.
We recommend that candidates review the Take Exam section of our Candidate handbook, to become familiar with the PSI Secure Browser Download and Installation steps, and the candidate's Self Check-In Process.
Candidates need to provide identification (ID) that meets the requirements outlined below:
- All IDs must be a valid (unexpired) Government-issued original, physical document (not photocopied or electronic)
- IDs must include the candidate's name, photo, and signature*
- *Government-issued biometric IDs that do not contain signature will be accepted
- Acceptable forms of ID:
- International travel passport
- Government-issued driver’s license/permit
- Government-Issued local language ID (with photo and signature)
- National identity card State or province-issued identity card
- Alien registration card (green card or permanent resident/visa)
- 住民基本台帳 (Basic Resident Register with photo) or マ イナンバーカード(My Number Card)
- Minors, between the age of 16-18, are permitted to take an online proctored exam with PSI, provided they complete the following requirements:
- At check in, the minor candidate must present a valid student ID as a form of identification
- During the PSI check-in process, the candidate's guardian must also present a valid ID and must provide verbal consent during the PSI check-in process.
Exams may be administered to citizens of a sanctioned country listed below PROVIDED the citizens are tested OUTSIDE the sanctioned country and their exam registration and current ID show an address OUTSIDE the sanctioned country.
- North Korea
- Crimea Region of Ukraine
During the exam, candidates may:
- review the Exam content instructions that are presented in the command line terminal.
- review Documents installed by the distribution within the exam terminal (i.e. /usr/share and its subdirectories)
- 1.Do not stop or tamper with the
remoteExecutionAgentprocess as this will END YOUR EXAM SESSION.
- 2.Do not reconfigure the network, unless explicitly prompted to do so as part of the instructions as this may END YOUR EXAM SESSION.
- 3.Use Ctrl+Alt+W instead of Ctrl+W.
- 5.1 Ctrl+W is a keyboard shortcut that will close the current tab in Google Chrome.
- 4.The Terminal (Terminal Emulator Application) is a Linux Terminal; copy & paste within the Linux Terminal works normally using your Operating System's keyboard shortcuts.
- OR Use the Right Click Context Menu and select Copy or Paste
- 5.Installation of services and applications included in this exam may require modification of system security policies to complete.
- Each task on this exam will be completed on a designated Virtual Machine.
- You have elevated privileges on any Virtual Machine by default, so there is no need to assume elevated privileges.
- For your convenience, all environments have the following additional command-line tools pre-installed and pre-configured:
manand man pages for further documentation
If you need additional help, please login with your LF Account to https://trainingsupport.linuxfoundation.org and use the search bar to find an answer to your question, or select your request type from the categories provided.